This summer went by rather quickly. We began fishing on our set net sites at the end of June. Our salmon season ended the second week of August. This year we fished 14 out of the 15 nets that we have. We lost an anchor on one of the nets and we were not able to find or replace the anchor in time.
It was a bad year for our set net sites. We only caught about half of what we would normally catch. This was after an expected 36% increase in the size of the run (according to Alaska Fish and Game http://www.cf.adfg.state.ak.us/geninfo/pubs/pubshome.php). The fish we did catch were nice in color and size.
We did have a great crew on our set net sites and in our plant processing. They all worked hard and got along well. We had college students from Minnesota, Washington and Turkey. We look forward to seeing some of them return next year.
We have the plant cleaned and shut down for winter. We are getting settled in before the snow and cold temperatures come.
Leave your Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.